PHP: Hiding a link to binary file for download

David Dudek dudek at buffalo.edu
Wed Aug 20 11:12:49 EDT 2003

Here's a question for Mark or anyone else who cares to answer:

I want to set up a webpage that will allow me to log who is downloading
certain binary files from a web site.  I intend to do this by having a
page that a user has to authenticate to, in my case by DCE/Kerberos, so
that the $REMOTE_USER environment variable is assigned.  I know how to do
that part.  I might have the user then fill out a form for some info.
But then (here's the part I don't know about) I want to redirect the user
to the URL for a binary file download, but I don't want the user to see
the direct URL.  In other words, I don't want users to be able to bypass
my form to download the file.

Any ideas?

--
David Thomas Dudek     http://www.buffalo.edu/~dudek/