BSA Report

Riga, Anthony Anthony.Riga at searbrown.com
Fri Aug 15 09:21:57 EDT 2003

I thought you might get a kick out of this. Somone sent this to me where I work. We are all Winblows shop using these software packages. This is why I use Linux ......... Even if you are installing a bootleg copy of Windblows its still MS advantage. Your not letting other competitors such as Linux being installed.

2. BSA REPORTS PIRACY SETTLEMENTS, STATISTICS
As part of its annual Sweeps campaign, the BSA (Business Software
Alliance) announced two recent piracy settlements with engineering
firms. Speece-Lewis, Lincoln, NE, paid BSA US$50,000 for
infringement of software from Adobe and Bentley Systems, and Pacific
Advance Civil Engineering, Huntington Beach, CA, paid US$80,000 for
copyright infringement of Adobe, Autodesk, Microsoft, and Symantec
software. The firms also agreed to delete all unlicensed copies of
the software, purchase replacement software, and improve their
software management practices. According to BSA, most investigations
begin with a call to the alliance's hotline, 888-NO-PIRACY.

A recent BSA study puts the U.S. software piracy rate at 23% in 2002
and estimated the software industry lost nearly $2 billion as a
result. Globally, the piracy rate is estimated at 39%.  Piracy rates
for Eastern Europe are 71 percent, Asia/Pacific and Latin America
are 55 percent, the Middle East/Africa is 49 percent, and Western
Europe is 35 percent. Autodesk estimates that for every legal copy
of software sold, five more are illegal. Autodesk reports that it's
recovered nearly US$60 million in North American since forming its
Piracy Prevention Department in 1989.
http://www.bsa.org