Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 00:38:30 EDT 2003

Try just hitting Alt-ctrl-backspace.  That will do an immediate restart of X.
Init 5 just causes the 'init' process to reread it's configuration for changes.
 You could potentially tell it 'init 3', followed by 'init 5' to get it to stop
and restart X but that's a lot of work and could disrupt other processes.

Cheers!

Bob