#nflug on efnet

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Fri Aug 8 07:26:50 EDT 2003

In linux, you need to have the Identd daemon responding to ident requests.

Non-RedHat (such as Slackware) may have ident running through (x)inetd.
On Slackware machines, edit /etc/inetd.conf and make sure ident (also
called "auth") is uncommented.  Type "killall -HUP inetd" to restart.

RedHat (and the like) may have standalone daemons.  For RH, type
"service identd start".  If it wasn't running on bootup, you can type:
"chkconfig --levels 35 identd on", and it'll automatically start at boot.

Otherwise, make sure it's installed, and edit /etc/identd.conf.  Make
sure "result:encrypt" is set to 'no'. Next, run "/usr/sbin/identd".

Hoep that helps anyone that needed it, or was curious.

--
<? print(pack("c*", 74,117,115,116,32,/* Tony Evans                  */
 65,110,111,116,104,101,114,32,80,72, /* Linux/Web Implementation    */