And more backup

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Fri Apr 18 08:11:02 EDT 2003

mt on a redhat systems is part of the mt-st package, i looked on
mandrakes ftp server and it has the same name. if it's not installed on
the system, rpm -qa |grep mt-st then load up your cdrom and install,
it's in the RPMS directory.

you don't need to erase a tape, there is no formatting you simple rewind
it and write over the tape again. to run tar with -d you need to be in
the root of where you tar archive starts. if /dev/st0 = / then you can
you can do (cd / && tar -df /dev/st0) to check for differences.

if you want to check if your archive is "good" you really need to
restore some files from the tape. i'd recommend creating a location to
do all your restores in, like /dumps, /opt/dumps, /usr/local/dumps, just
make sure that you have plenty of space on that filesystem.

in an earlier message you mentioned dabbleing with other backup tools.
i'd recommend looking into amanda, www.amanda.org. i can't say enough
good things about amanda. i've been using it for nearly 6 years on
various systems, once you get it working all you need to do is change
the tape nightly. i'm currently using it on a sun ultra5 with a sun L25
tape library (1 LTO drive w/ 40 tape capacity). nightly we dump about
200mb of data from about 50 seperate filesystems from linux, solaris,
and openbsd systems. we also use it for dumping a small oracle database.