Tape backups

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Wed Apr 9 11:05:15 EDT 2003

After doing a lot more research on Google (due to not finding an "Exabyte
8900T" drive), apparently the one I have is an Exabyte Mammoth.  I headed
over to Exabyte's site with that info and the fact that the tapes I have
are "160mXL".  I'm not sure if my administrators are backwards or what,
but they claim the tapes they gave me work w/ that drive. Exabyte says
they're readable, but not writeable, and that the drive should be using
AME 170 tapes, and not Metal something-err-other, which the 160's are.

If what you say is true, and provided my admin's aren't nuts, I'm going to
try and rifle thru all the tapes we have to see if the drive will work.
Otherwise, it looks like I'll be ordering new tapes that Exabyte
recommends, and going from there.

Thanks for the info... I remember you having issues with tape drives and
the media, so I'll be sure to keep that in mind while I pull my hair out
strand by strand.  ;)

  - Tony