Purge Old Files Script

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 11:16:49 EDT 2002

find /home/samba/shareplace/whatever -mtime +3 -print | perl -ne 'chop;unlink;'

Where the '-mtime +3' refers to anything that hasn't been modified in the
last three days and the perl script collects the names, chops off the newline
and unlinks the filenames.  You could also use "-exec /bin/rm '{}' ';'"
args to the find command but that execs potentially zillions of 'rm'
commands.

Cheers!

Bob

--- Justin Bennett <Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a script to delete files older than x number of days.
> There is an area on our samba server thats rw for everyone, where users
> put stuff temporaily for others to get at. It's getting out of control
> lots of old stuff. I want to have a script that blows away old stuff. I
> supose I could write something, just wondering anyone has something they'd
> be willing to share.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> --