Sometimes, you just gotta do something stupid...

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 09:21:19 EDT 2002

I've been hacking around, trying to get a SCSI DLT tape drive to work.  The
problem has been that the sym53c896 SCSI controller was getting recognized but
kept getting disabled 'cuz the driver would not set the IRQs correctly (message
saying to use pci=biosirq) and it wouldn't pass the cache test.  I only get to
mess with it for a short time during the day 'cuz it's the primary mail server
for the whole place and we can't have downtime.

So this morning, I decide to come in real early and try messing with it.
Hmmm... booting with 'pci=biosirq' doesn't help and breaks other stuff...
Well, let's ask Compaq diagnostics... ya know, I don't see it in the POST,
either... Hmmm...  Compaq diags lets me mess with the BIOS so I go to add and
remove interfaces.  It tells me that I don't have to do anything for PCI
devices..  Well, let's look at it anyway...  Hmmm... both ports disabled in
BIOS... Could that have anything to do with it?  Betcha!

So anyway, my tape drive is now recognized and I can stop searching every
search engine in the world (even read a number of German pages), looking for
the answer...

Sometimes, it's the simple stuff... :-)

Cheers!

Bob