HP DLT/80 tar/dd backup I/O Errors

Darin Perusich darinper at cognigencorp.com
Thu Sep 26 10:27:23 EDT 2002

have you done any searching on HP's site or google for related issues?
it sounds to me like you might be at that point where you need to call
HP. the fact that the tapes are not portable would cause me to return
the drive.

amanda uses the systems native dump and/or tar for backup so there's no
need to be concerned about propritory data formats. you don't even need
the amanda binaries to restore files from tape, you can simple use dd
and dump/tar. i've had instances where i've had to do bad metal restores
so i just boot off cd into single use, hookup the tape, and go. try
doing that will veritas, legato, or bru.

darinper at cognigencorp.com