DUN/WinSock on Win32 (was: Meeting and Mozilla)

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Tue Sep 24 16:34:44 EDT 2002

Win98 & WinME are notorious for Network Problems.  I went from Win98 to
Win2000 Pro.  I bought ME, but used it for a short stint of 3 months
before my system became unusable.

I'm a webmaster/asst sysadmin (and ex tech support nut) for a local ISP,
and I've had my share of WinSock problems.

If you encounter that problem again, don't try and uncompress files and
use DOS or Linux (though I prefer linux, to M$).  Go into your Control
Panel, go into your Network settings, and remove everything.  Especially
any TCP/IP, NetBIOS/NetBEUI, DUN Adapters, etc.  If you're on a
company network and you're not the MIS/IT guy, I'd double check with them,
as reinstalling will require driver disks, etc.  Don't just remove TCP/IP,
it won't work, and as for ME, you have to remove DUN, and everything.

Restart/reboot, and then reinstall everything.  If you've removed TCP/IP
and any DUN/ethernet adapters etc, then it *should* have removed WinSock
files. Reinstalling should reinstall TCP/IP and WinSock.  If not, then
yah, its a registry thing and you'll have to wipe that.  IMHO, if you need
to alter Windows' registry by hand, and it's not just for the simple
pleasure of renaming "system icons" and such, then you should
re-fdisk/re-format and start over.

I've got a WinXP Pro w/ Slackware 8.1 dual-boot, and it works like a
charm.  Then again, I can actively switch between GNU Cash and Quicken
2002.  I don't use M$ products if I don't have to.  If your bank supports
Quicken (M&T Bank does), I'd try it.  It does take some time to adjust,
between M$ and Intuit's Quicken, but I will never use anything other than
Quicken (again, with the exception of GNU Cash which can use Quicken
files).

Just my tech cents... (they're not worth much depending on where you go).

  - Tony