Mandrake ??

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 9 19:56:05 EDT 2002

Well, as far as I remember, there is a parameter to kdmrc called 'MinShowUID'
that should be set to 500.  The file is in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.  there
is another parameter called 'NoUsers' that list all of the users that should
not
show up in the login face window.  There's actually all kinds of stuff in the
file that looks interesting to tinker with.  Also, make sure that
/etc/sysconfig/desktop
is set to 'KDE'.  That being wrong tends to annoy lots of stuff like VNC

I remember that I had all of my users showing up doubled until I fixed my
nsswitch.conf to look in NIS and files and changed the location of the
source password and shadow files to other than /etc.

Just some thoughts...

Cheers!

Bob
--- JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I used my Mandrake 8.2 game machine just a week or so ago.  Since then I've
> recycled my Server once (when I did Kudzu tried to redetect and reinstall all
> my hardware.. may not have any bearing but the only thing I can think of that
> changed.)
>
> I use NIS and autofs and when I started my PC this weekend the KDM which
> normally displays 3 users (all for the NIS map) displayed a ton of users.  I
> couldnt log in from the KDM  screen either, it would blank as if it was going
> to login then go back to login screen.  (I figured out the user icons in KDM
> was my entire local passwd file!)
> My nsswitch.conf was unchanged (passwd files nis) from when it worked as
> expected.
>
> By falling out to a console and logging in I could then do a telinit 3 and
> startx and X started fine!  I was able to login as my NIS mapped user also...
>
> Not sure where to look for what might have changed.  I went into KDM setup
> and
> manually told it to only display the three users I want (it still keeps
> displaying an icon for root and I can't figure out why).
>
> It still won't go to a desktop from KDM but if I go to console and login and
> then startx I get to my desktop fine.  I looked in var/log/messages but did
> not
> see anything very odd, except when it had my whole passwd file showing up as
> icons in KDM i had a lot of errors trying to map all those users home drive's
> since there were no home drives for them via NSF or autofs...
>
> Any thoughts,ideas, suggestions (I did do an update ie update.media -a
> followed
> by urpmi --auto-update the other night but no change to the above behavior)
>
> JJN

> http://finance.yahoo.com

=====
Bob Meyer