Samba?

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com
Tue Oct 22 09:58:08 EDT 2002

Have you downloaded samba and have it installed? You'll need to setup the
smb.conf file with the shares you want, pretty straight forward. There are
examples in the smb.conf file. You can force file permissions like 664 or
660 if it is a group directory. All the users that you want to connect
must be users on the machine. If you want to do encrypted passwords you
will need to turn it on in the smb.conf file, and then create an
smbpassword file with each users password in it (cuz MS encryption is not
the same as unix encryption).

You do this by:
smbpasswd -a user

If you don't want to use encrypted password, it should be an issue
especially in a switched network, you don't need to create users in
smbpasswd file, it can use the standard unix password file. However if you
do this you'll need to run registry entries on the client boxes if they
are (98 or above), or NT sp3 or above. For 5 users it's probably easy
enough to add then using smbpasswd -a.

I'll see if I can find on online guide and post the URL.

> I have decided to start samba on our SCO machine, can anyone tell me if
> there are any potential obstacles I may encounter that I should watch
> out  for? All I need is to get the 5 people in accounting connected to
> this thing.
>

> Thanks,
> Chet
>

> --
> dangerous content by Dynabrade using Mailscanner,
> and is believed to be clean.

Justin Bennett
Red Hat (Linux) Certified Engineer
Network Administrator