Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Mon Oct 21 14:51:04 EDT 2002

"Mark Musone" <mmusone at shatterit.com> writes:

> just do:
> # init 5
> instead of a reboot.

One should really use telinit to communicate with init.  Also,

        # telinit q # or "Q"

will ask init to re-read its configuration file without having to
change runlevels.  At that point one can safely shut down the errant
GNOME display manager cleanly without any interruption to other
init-spawned services.

Second of all, is there some problem with simply editing
/etc/sysconfig/desktop?  I'm not running RedHat myself but I took a
look at the initscripts rpm and it seems pretty straightforward to
change the display manager?  (DISPLAYMANAGER in
/etc/sysconfig/desktop.)
--
| ``Ooooaah!                                                            |