Quake3 and Suse 8.1

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 10:14:36 EDT 2002

I have Quake3 arena and installed it last night on Mandrake 8.2. as root into
/usr/local/games  and /usr/bin I believe.

When I run it as either root or myself I get an error 11 and crash out after
the message "sound initialization" (video seems to go OK)
/dev/dsp is a link to /dev/sound/dsp  the link is 555 and the actual dsp is
777.

Any ideas on what I could try to get sound to stop crashing (It was late last
night when I installed so had no time to scour help sites or planetquake or any
linux quake sites so sorry if this an easy fix...) I have a
SoundblasterLive(value) installed and a GeForce2MX400 64MB.  THey work fine
with other #d games like RTCW.

Anyone have Suse upgrade CD 8.1 laying around?  I could really use it (or a
backup copy of it) :-)

thanks

JJN