Last Ditch Effort

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com
Mon Oct 7 09:32:32 EDT 2002

This is a last ditch plea for help before I call HP tech support (really
dreading it) I've got an HP VS80 40/80GB (DLT1) drive. I have two DLT 8000
drives on the same scsi bus working fine but this one gives me greif.
Several minutes in to the backup (varies from 1- ~15)

I get:

tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 65536 bytes
Mon Oct  7 09:31:12 EDT 2002

I'm using command:
tar -cvf /dev/st0 mishome mail --blocking-factor 128

The Clean/Media Light starts blinking. I clean it using the cartridge that
came with the drive and the light goes off, but then reappears when I run
the backup again, when it dies 10 minutes in. I've tried using new tapes.
It was working ok for a while, but I can't get it to go now. I'm not sure
what else can be done. It's not dying on any particular file (run it with
-cvf) it dies at different times.

Any ideas are welcome

Thanks
Justin