Upgrading kernel

shipdadip shipdadip at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 21 17:17:38 EST 2002

hi all,
   I'm runnning Slackware 8.1, I'm trying to upgrade the kernel because I want to have USB-Ethernet adapter support so I ca go on the internet.  wWhen I do make xconfig the option to enable USB adapter support is greued out, it says I first have to enable networking support, I'm positive it's enabled, I've even disabled it and reboot and than re-enabled it but I still can't choose the USB-adapter option.  I currently have a 2.2 kernel. trying o upgrade to 2.5.1.  Can anyone help?  I hope I was clear, if not let me know.