lilo

sfielding7 sfielding7 at cogeco.ca
Sat Nov 9 17:40:39 EST 2002

OK

As I understand all operating systems look on the first partion of the
first drive for the boot loader.
This file tells you what operating systems are loaded and the computer
where you put them.
So normally C but A is available you have the boot loader normaly I put
Windows in first and this goes on C.
The next operating system is added this adds one line to boot.ini and
directs the computer to the location.for the next op sys

Now lets talk dirty;
drive partitioning and tweak UI
This is who I set up my drives  -2 one 20gig the other 40gigs
Drive one 40gig
C= 2gig holds boot and at this time W98
E=5gig holds program files for W98
F=5gig holds My Docs for W98
G=5gig holds video & jpg files
H=5gig holds other files normaly fresh down loads
I=2gig second op sys W2k or Linux
J=2gig second op sys programs
K=2gig second op sys My Docs
L=Balance
Drive one 20gig
D=5gig holds page files for both op sys
M=7.5gig first back up
N=7.5gig second backup
Now the fun stuff
I use tweak UI to relocate W98 programs , My Documents My Music to the
correct drive
If I upgrade W98 to W2K I reformat C intall ALL my files are still in
place and available.
This also gos for my second op sys it can be blown away and changed
Remember Linux allows you to mount Fat drives so it can still see my W98
files
When I had W2K I used NTSF and these files where hidden from W98

Backup are done with batch files coping various folds to one of the back
up partitions
once a month I burn CD for safe back up storage

Does this help or are you in more of a mess!!!
Stephen