RedHat Lilo Graphic

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Sun Nov 3 22:07:40 EST 2002

This is G o o g l e's  <http://www.google.com/help/features.html#cached>
cache of  <http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/lilo.txt>
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/lilo.txt.
G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we
crawled the web.
The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the
<http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/lilo.txt> current page without
highlighting.
To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:yfG7l1vHhPwC:hints.linuxfromscratch
.org/hints/lilo.txt+boot-bmp.b&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Google is not affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible
for its content.

These search terms have been highlighted: 	 boot 	 bmp 	 b
  _____

TITLE:          Lilo beautified

LFS VERSION:    3.3

AUTHOR:	        yoonsoo <yoonsoo at gmx.net>

SYNOPSIS:

	How to get a nice picture as boot prompt

HINT:

Version 0.3

23/07/2002

Contents

--------

    1. What do you need ?

    2. Copying the bmp-file

    3. preparing lilo.conf

    4. Finish

    5. Additional Remarks and Warnings

1. What do you need

   ----------------

     lilo-22.2

	 or

	 lilo-22.3.2

	 nasm-0.98.34

	 (just install nasm the way you usually install packages)

     640x480x16 bmp file

2. Copying BMP

   -----------

	You can use any BMP with the dimensions 640x480 and a colordepth

        of 16Bit. If you decide to use one of the BMP's shipped with

        the lilo-package, you can find them at lilo-src/sample/

        Just copy one of them to /boot (or somewhere else if

        you want to). Imho logo64a.bmp looks good so I will refer

        to this on.

3. Preparing lilo.conf

   -------------------

        There are two ways

	a) set the symlink /boot/boot.b to /boot/boot-bmp.b

        b) add install=boot/boot-bmp.b to lilo.conf

        I prefer to change the symlink for several reasons, so you

        will find no install= in my lilo.conf below

        add the following lines to lilo.conf

bitmap = /boot/logo64a.bmp (or whatever bmp you took)

bmp-colors = 6,9,0,15,9,0

bmp-table = 59,5,1,18,

bmp-timer = 66,28,6,8,0

bmp-colors: here is where you set the colors used in your menu

 the first three entries belongs to the normal menu-text and the

 last three entries specifies the colors of the highlighted

 menu-text.

bmp-table: location of the menu-table. First two entries gives

 the x, and y cooridiantes of the menu table. 59 means column 59,

 you cal also use (eg) p400 to adress in pixels instead. The next

 two entries are the numbers of the rows and columns in our menu table.

 The last entry will specify the space between the columns if there are

 more than one.

bmp-timer: location of the timer-box for the countdown. The first two

 entries are the coordinates and the next last values specifies  the
colors

alternatively, if you use a lilo version greater than 22.3 you could
also do:

add the followjng lines to lilo.conf

bitmap = /boot/logo64a.bmp (or whatever bmp you took)

cat > /boot/logo64a.dat << "EOF"

bmp-colors = 6,9,0,15,9,0

bmp-table = 59,5,1,18,

bmp-timer = 66,28,6,8,0

EOF

lilo -E /boot/logo64a.dat

(see the manpage and the README's shipped with your lilo-Source for

 further details)

4. Finish

   ------

	run lilo and reboot

	Enjoy your new Boot-menu ;)

5. Additional Remarks & Warnings

   -----------------------------

	As it can be very risky to use lilo you should always have a

    working boot disk to 'repair' your boot image if things went

    wrong, and it will go wrong for sure ;)

    Be sure, that your bmp-file exists and will not be erased

    accidently.

    And last not least : never forget to run lilo after you have

    made some changes.

	There are advantages and disadvantages which comes with

	upgrading to lilo-22.3. Just check which is more important for

	you.

 If you have any ideas, suggestions or found a bug you can send a

 mail to:

 yoon soo <yoonsoo at gmx.net>