Modems

Ken Galle kagalle at infoblvd.net
Mon May 6 18:58:13 EDT 2002

Though I agree external is the simplest way to get there, it is worth noting that there is one bright spot for internal modems - actiontec.  All of there modems are complete/full/not-winmodem modems, even the pci.  I have an isa, but also checked out pci and they have the
Actiontec 56K PCI PCI Master

For awhile they were available at walmart.  Some setup info from their web site, which basically boils down to telling linux where and what type of UART is in the modem, nothing wierd like patching kernels, etc (though I've have good success doing that with the LT modems)...

http://www.actiontec.com/support/modems/pcimasterfaq.html#installlinux
# cat /proc/pci
The following is an example of information to look for:

Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
    Communication controller: Lucent (ex-AT&T)
     Microelectronics Unknown device (rev 0).
      Vendor id=11c1. Device id=480.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.
        Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000
       [0xe0800000].
      I/O at 0xa000 [0xa001].
      I/O at 0x9800 [0x9801].
      I/O at 0x9400 [0x9401].

Write down the first I/O range. The example shows that I/O is 0xa000. The values may vary, depending on the system. Then type

# setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xa000 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig
and hit enter.

If there are no errors, then type

# setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A