Modems

Bradley J. Bartram bradbartram at wycol.com
Sun May 5 21:55:22 EDT 2002

>From personal experience, I have tried many, many different internal modems
with Linux.  I tried win modems, other software based modems, hardware modems
and even an old non-pnp ISA slot modem.  I could get them to work, although I
always had problems.  Examples would include poor line speed, frequent
dropped connections, un-reliable connection initializations, etc..

My problem was solved when I bought a top of the line hayes v.90 fax modem for
way too much money.  When an electrical surge from a nearby lightning hit
melted it last summer, I bought some cheap no-name replacement external v.90
modem.  I think it's a cnet something or other.  Anyway, I currently use that
modem, and have been without problem.  This modem is an almost dedicated
connection and can easily stay connected for 7 - 14 days without a hiccup.

Long story short, go external, they may cost a little more but they're worth
it in the long run.  Just my $.02

brad