Moving ?

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Sat Mar 30 18:11:01 EST 2002

Trying to wade through close to 200 msgs because I haven't been
online in a couple weeks: I've been busy pissing off the penguin, as
evidenced by my kernel panic. I don't know whether to be proud or
terrified that I found something that would make linux not work.

I'm for trying out Joe's offer of meeting place, if that's the
consensus. Wheatfield, Holland, Gowanda, Olean, we truly are a
far flung group- closer for some, maybe farther for others.
One concern I have is space for 5 or more workstations for any
network type things [gaming, NFS, etc] we may want to do.

If it works out, I would happily put a plug for them in my sig line,
since I think it's MY PLACE [not my mail handler or ISP] to decide
what appears under my name. Sorry, that's one of my pet peeves.

As far as Software driven modems [PCI, AMR, etc], here's a great
link. Charts for boards and chipsets, ratings of their performance,
or lack of, in linux, links to get the drivers - a plethora of useful info
and links to more.
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

External Modems  ? More info, please !!
The last time I heard of or saw an external modem, you turned it on
and put the reciever of your ROTARY phone into it [dating myself, I
know].
I may not have to deal with this @#$%&* software driven/AC97
Codec/onboard sound/AMR/Win/LinModem after all.
Life is good when you're safely behind the times :-)

EULAs- I usually encounter them 2 or 3 screens into the install
process, and you forgot the part about the blood sacrifice at
midnight of a full moon [ or maybe that's for European releases
because America is the land of (ahem) freedom]. This offer not valid
on Tuesday; to people 26 yrs of age; or in any state containing the
letter a or i in its name.

Scott

Registered Linux User 261118