New Subject (not about moving the lug)

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Wed Mar 27 01:44:48 EST 2002

<x-html>
Glad to hear that you got it all working ok now.&nbsp; Yeah, sometimes it
is the obvious that escapes our attention.  <br>
Chaz®<br>
At 08:53 AM 3/26/02 -0500, you wrote:<br>
Thought I would pass this on the all of you that have been watching this
thread. Bob Meyer and I, last night, did some investigation in real time
into this via ssh and me sitting here in front of the box, have found
this to be true......<br>
It appears that the reason it would not boot from the SCSI drive was that
I was trying&nbsp; to boot the SCSI drive from the mbr of the IDE
drive(with lilo). Apparently when the system bypassed, or I should say
initiated the boot from the IDE drive because the computer BIOS told it
too, in sequence BEFORE the SCSI device, the necessary boot info did not
pass to the Linux kernel and therefore did not load the module to boot
from/for the SCSI device. When I changed the order of boot in the
computer bios to boot the SCSI device before the IDE, it booted from the
SCSI perfectly.<br>
Just wanted to pass that one on. I can say this, from a person that works
on computers on a daily basis, I still (sometimes) forget/overlook the
importance of the settings in the BIOS.<br>
&nbsp; Thanks again to Bob for his very patient and always generous help!
Cyber Source wrote:<br>
Robert Meyer wrote:<br>
<pre>If the system is booting from SCSI drives, the module will get loaded
automatically since the system should try to load it as the drives are
accessed.&nbsp; If that doesn't work, then putting it in /etc/modules would be a
good stop-gap but I prefer to find the real reason and fix it.

Cheers!

Bob
--- Cyber Source <a href="mailto:peter at thecybersource.com">&lt;peter at thecybersource.com&gt;</a> wrote:
<pre>Great info Bob! That one got printed for future reference :) Did you see
my note back to Dege? Is it just enough then to put the text as &quot;sd_mod&quot;
in the /etc/modules file? Hope the new job is going good for you. I will
give you a call soon and keep you up to date on the Linux Solutions stuff.

Robert Meyer wrote:

<pre>Reply interspersed within text...

--- Cyber Source <a href="mailto:peter at thecybersource.com">&lt;peter at thecybersource.com&gt;</a> wrote:

<pre>Hello all,
&nbsp;After a couple of days fooling around with this, I find myself needing
to ask the more learned of the group for a resolution.
&nbsp;We have a Linux server here that I am very nervous about causing harm
to, so my steps to install/change the system over to scsi have been very
cautious and timid at best. Here's the situation.
&nbsp;I have an IDE based Linux Mandrake 8.1 server that I wish to change
over to a scsi based system. I have installed the &quot;adaptec 29160&quot; scsi
card and u160scsi hard drive.
Mandrake 8.1 did detect the card on boot (kudzu) and said it configured
it. The scsi drive was hooked up to the system while I still booted with
the IDE based system. The card was recognized but the scsi drive was
not, no /dev/sd?. I have tried other ways to rule out a problem with
this as in doing an install with the card and drive seperately and it
works fine. I then looked to the /etc/modules, /etc/modules.
co
nf files
and copied the info that was in those files (from the successful
install) to that of the same files on the ide based drives to see if it
would work but it has not. I also want to point out that on one boot it
did pick up the drive and loaded the scsi module but has not since
booting after (and not after changing any files). The reason for all
this caution, is that Bob Meyer and I have a ton of time in customizing
this system and it works great. We don't want to loose this
customization. I have backed up the entire system, so here are my
questions......
1. What are the necessary steps to get this scsi card recognized?

<pre>Well, Kudzu should have gotten everything.&nbsp; Type 'lsmod' and look for
<pre>'sd_mod'
<pre>and 'scsi_mod'.&nbsp; You cannot locate disks without sd_mod.

<pre>2. Do I have to run the insmod command or is it simply enough to have
the necessary file/text in the /etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf files?

<pre>Sometimes, unless you try to access something, it doesn't load the driver.
Kudzu should have made entries in /etc/modules.conf that relate to the block
device for the scsi drives.&nbsp; Any attempt to access the scsi drive should
<pre>cause
<pre>the driver to get loaded.&nbsp; In Mandrake 8.1, it likes to stuff things in
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0.&nbsp; Note that the '0' could be any number
<pre>but
<pre>the host and bus will probably be zero.&nbsp; Target is the actual SCSI target on
the bus (the SCSI ID) and the lun will probably always be zero.

<pre>3. Are there more files to deal with aside from the /etc/modules and
/etc/modules.conf files?

<pre>For configuration, it should just be /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modules.
/etc/modules is for stuff that you want to load automatically that might not
otherwise be loaded on boot such as stuff that's not used all the time.

<pre>4. Is it possible to take a system that was backed up (using dump) from
an ext2 partition and restore them to an ext3 partition?

<pre>In a word... yes.&nbsp; You will have to change the entries in /etc/fstab to tell
<pre>it
<pre>that the file systems are ext3 and maybe change the drive references if the
partition maps are different but that's about it.

<pre>5. I now have Linux Mandrake 8.2 (freshly downloaded) and was thinking
of just running that to do an upgrade, with all the hardware installed
(scsi adapter, ide based system still) and after success at that, then
do a backup of the system and then copy all to the scsi drive and change
the /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /etc/lilo.conf files.
I personally think it would be better to do number 5 above but it seems
like cheating and I would really like to know what is wrong with it
currently.

<pre>I would get the drives recognized, copy all of the data to their respective
partitions, modify the fstab file to point everything to the appropriate
<pre>'sd'
<pre>drive, rather than 'hd', remove the IDE drive, boot the install CD with
<pre>'rescue
<pre>root=/dev/sda1' or whatever the partition is, modify the lilo.conf file to
point to the SD drive boot area, run LILO, reboot the machine, enabling the
SCSI BIOS in the process.&nbsp; The machine should come up and you still have the
IDE drive in case it doesn't work...

I think that gets all of it...

Cheers!

Bob