your mail

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Mar 26 10:24:30 EST 2002

I've done this in the past.  Is your C Drive NTFS of FAT?  If it's NTFS,
that might be the problem.  I remember reading where Win98 will not dual
boot if the boot partition if NTFS because it can't read it's boot sector
while loading.  That might be the case here.  By default, Redhat's kernel
does not come with NTFS support.... and if it did, it would be a module
which also doesn't help.

A few things to think of:

Where did you install the boot loader?  On the MBR , of the first sector
of your hda3 partition.

Did you select LILO during the install?  if you did, you're still
transferring LILO with the boot sector.  So you're final result will be NT
boot loader -> LILO -> booting linux.

> I installed with success Redhat Linux 7.1 on my sons pc dual boot with
> windows 2000. I used the dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/mnt/floppy/bootsect.lnx
> bs=512 count=1 command to copy the file to floppy so I can boot without
> using lilo. I put the file on the root drive of winblows and then put
> in the boot.ini the c:\bootsect.lnx " Redhat " . It would not let me
> boot into Linux. Could it be that Winblows is set up with ntfs? Is the
> command I am using to copy the file right? It seemd hda3 is not right? I
> am using only one hard drive. Can some one help me...!!

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me