New Subject (not about moving the lug)

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Mar 25 08:49:26 EST 2002

Hello all,
  After a couple of days fooling around with this, I find myself needing
to ask the more learned of the group for a resolution.
  We have a Linux server here that I am very nervous about causing harm
to, so my steps to install/change the system over to scsi have been very
cautious and timid at best. Here's the situation.
  I have an IDE based Linux Mandrake 8.1 server that I wish to change
over to a scsi based system. I have installed the "adaptec 29160" scsi
card and u160scsi hard drive.
Mandrake 8.1 did detect the card on boot (kudzu) and said it configured
it. The scsi drive was hooked up to the system while I still booted with
the IDE based system. The card was recognized but the scsi drive was
not, no /dev/sd?. I have tried other ways to rule out a problem with
this as in doing an install with the card and drive seperately and it
works fine. I then looked to the /etc/modules, /etc/modules.conf files
and copied the info that was in those files (from the successful
install) to that of the same files on the ide based drives to see if it
would work but it has not. I also want to point out that on one boot it
did pick up the drive and loaded the scsi module but has not since
booting after (and not after changing any files). The reason for all
this caution, is that Bob Meyer and I have a ton of time in customizing
this system and it works great. We don't want to loose this
customization. I have backed up the entire system, so here are my
questions......
1. What are the necessary steps to get this scsi card recognized?
2. Do I have to run the insmod command or is it simply enough to have
the necessary file/text in the /etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf files?
3. Are there more files to deal with aside from the /etc/modules and
/etc/modules.conf files?
4. Is it possible to take a system that was backed up (using dump) from
an ext2 partition and restore them to an ext3 partition?
5. I now have Linux Mandrake 8.2 (freshly downloaded) and was thinking
of just running that to do an upgrade, with all the hardware installed
(scsi adapter, ide based system still) and after success at that, then
do a backup of the system and then copy all to the scsi drive and change
the /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /etc/lilo.conf files.
I personally think it would be better to do number 5 above but it seems
like cheating and I would really like to know what is wrong with it
currently.
Any help, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
peter at thecybersource.com