Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 23 18:12:36 EST 2002

My recommendation is for SSH and X11 for doing window stuff.  I DO NOT
recommend using PCAnywhere for anything in any kind of secure environment.
Remember that PCAnywhere was written to allow you to remote a display on a
single user operating system (AKA Windows).  Since Linux is multiuser,
multitasking, there is no need to remote the console of the machine.  A
correctly configured SSH will set up a virtual tunnel for X11 tasks so that you
can run X11 applications, as well as handle a simple text screen.  I have used
it extensively for administration of servers, etc. from my office (servers in
secure room).

We did a class on SSH some time ago.  Maybe it's time to revisit this since
I've gained quite a bit of knowledge about it recently and we have several
other experts in the group.

Cheers!
Bob

--- "Robert F. Stockdale IV" <javabob at localnet.com> wrote:
> Have you tried Secure Shell (ssh)?
> Bob
>

> Riga, Anthony wrote:
>
> > Where can I get a version of a PCAnywhere that runs on Redhat 7.1 so I
> > can log on to other Linux boxes. Thanks

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.