PCI modems

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Fri Mar 22 18:45:04 EST 2002

> Can anyone suggest a good PCI modem that will work with Linux?

I would suggest http://www.linmodems.org/

They should have a list of modems that work with Linux.

> Also is an on board controller necessary, and if I use a winmodem
> are there drivers of it or does Linux only support a few?

An onboard controller?  What does that have to do with a modem?
Linmodems.org do cover some Winmodems, but Winmodems are just that....
Windows modems.  There not designed for anything but Windows, and
personally they suck.  Everytime they become active, they momentarily
freeze the computer as they grab the IRQ & query the CPU for attention.

If I were you, I'd stick with good old ISA.  I think I have a 14.4 you can
have if you don't care about speed.  I still prefer my old 33.6 ISA on
COM1, IRQ 4 :)

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me