Question about BSD init vs. SysV init

Robert Romito robromito at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 20:40:06 EST 2002

Hi.  I've been reading more about BSD init vs. SysV init.  I run
Slackware, which uses BSD-like init, but also has a sysvinit script.

My question is:  Does BSD init use a different init executable that SysV
init?

 From what I've been reading, it seems that BSD init and SysV init are
just two different ways to organize your bootscripts.  The  init program
called by the kernel at boot is the same for either style.  So if I
wanted to make my system more SysV-ish I only need to re-org my scripts
as per SysV convention.  I do not need to download and compile a
different version of init.

Is my understanding on target?

Robert.