another sendmail ?

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue Mar 19 15:28:16 EST 2002

i'm not sure if you can specify multiple DH hosts, i'll have to play
with this hehe.

nfs isn't really an option, and actually strongly discourage. i'm using
the cyrus imap server for handling our local email. cyrus uses berkley
database file to manage the statis info about messages, whether they're
read, unread, urgent, you get the idea. having two process on multiple
servers that can't communicate with each other will basically blow up
these db files.

the prefered solution, for me at least would be to have either a SAN or
dual controller external scsi disk with both machines attached, the
backup/failover server would have the disk mount read-only with no
daemons running. these machines would running heartbeat,
http://www.linux-ha.org so when node-a goes down, node-b mounts the
filesystem rw, fires up the imap processes, and takes over it's IP
address. hopefully i'll have the SAN by 3rd quarter.

current pratice is to rsync the data hourly. i'd like to start playing
with sgi's fam & imon (File Alteration Monitor and Inode Monitor) so
when anything changes rsync fires. this sounds good but i think it might
take up to much resource.

darin

--
Darin Perusich