Wechter, Ron WechterR at cnrc.navy.mil
Thu Mar 14 15:48:36 EST 2002

Hardware RAID - Implements RAID through a dedicated card that contains a
special processor and memeory(usually on some sort of add-in card [RAID
controller card]) on it to take care of the RAID commands/processes.  Some
motherboards have them built on now. = FASTER

Software RAID - Implements RAID by using a software program or (as linux is
concerned) via the kernel.  This method uses your main CPU to process its
commands thus taking away processing cycles for other things. = SLOWER

That is how I understand it -- More on RAID can be found here --
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?cat=%2fTechnolog
y%2fRAID&prodkey=raid_wp&type=Technology

Enjoy!

Ronald K. Wechter
NRD Buffalo Assistant Systems Administrator
NRD Buffalo Webmaster
Navy Recruiting Department Buffalo
(716) 551-4901