CD-RW's Drive Problems.

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 13 09:24:55 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Meyer" <meyer_rm at yahoo.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 8:45 AM
Subject: RE: CD-RW's Drive Problems.

> There is a setting somewhere in the IDE hardware information that turns on
DMA.
>  If you don't have that on, you get just what you're getting now.  I don't
know
> for sure where the setting is, but you can probably find it if you poke
around
> enough.  Sorry, I'm not a Windoze affectionado.

<-------------------------------snip--------------------------------------->
Well after a few wasted cdr's later including some 16x. I'm giving up!
Yes I tried the DMA thing, and tried putting both on same IDE channel writer
as master and reader as slave
---and you can't do that!
Thats a no no!! Nero came up stating (popup window) that you can't have the
reader and the writer on the same
channel. Having both reader and writer on the same IDE channel would cause a
data signal collision!!!
I was right! Its not like having two HDD on the same channel. Optical disk
drives have different hardware issues, and requirements.

So I put them on different channels writer on IDE2 as master and HDD as
slave (poor RedHat all the things I'm putting it through). With reader slave
and HDD as master ( stinkin windows). Still the same result wasted cdr's
through buffer underruns. Did the DMA thing and turned off all TSR's
anything else I could think of to see how to work my way around this
problem, but to no avail. So I give up! It must be a bad CD-RW drive. So I'm
going to save up and buy an HP cd-rw drive or a top named brand like HP.
These nice priced items are a pain in the ASCII. I guess if you want
something that works then you have to pay more!

Ron:)