Older cptrs

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Thu Mar 7 11:36:04 EST 2002

Hi, JJ!

GREAT Idea!
I have some old ISA & VLB VGA cards, but don't expect to run X very well.  Are the
boards are ISA or >GASP!< VLB??  Some DEC Etherworks3 ISA NICs ... not much other
hardware.  Maybe some 4 Meg 72 pin SIMMs ... LOTS of 30 pin 1 Meg SIMMs!  (Remember
them??)  Maybe a 40 MEG HD, but nothing larger, and only 5.25" floppy drives, not
very helpful in that department.  :-(  I'll bring the 10baseT hub again.

BTW, speaking of old hardware ... I found a "gotcha" in the Mandrake 8.1 install
... The DEFAULT monitor is a High Frequency Super VGA monitor, well, that's NOT
what I have, and because it's Xwindows, you CAN'T easily change it if you blindly
accept it!  The default video mode drives older SVGA monitors berserk and may very
well blow them out!  I'm not impressed w/ an install that can seriously do damage
to hardware just by accepting the default.  Good thing I was working on the other
computer (which also has an incompatable monitor!) while my daugher was running the
install and rescued things before any damage was done.  A rank newbie would just be
appalled and confused and SOL if the monitor blew.  I tried to fix things using
xf86config, but Mandrake blissfully ignored any changes I tried to make!   Just one
of the "hazards" of installing the newer distros on older hardware I guess.  It's
back to good ol' reliable :-D Slackware! :-D for my daughter and me!  By the time
she shows up for the next meeting, she'll be a "Slackware Babe"! ;-)

-Greg