Net meeting

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 00:02:02 EST 2002

--- "S. Lawton " <green_man at bluefrognet.net> wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2002, at 15:23, Robert Meyer wrote:
>
> > Well, it pretty much looks like I've been co-opted into doing a seminar on
> > basic Unix/Linux filesystems :-)  Here is a basic outline of stuff that I
> am
> > planning on covering.  Let me know if there is anything else that you'd
> like me
> > to handle.  Please try to keep it close to the overall theme so we don't
> wind
> > up in Kansas... that's the point of know return, you know... :-)  (will
> anyone
> > catch that one?)
> >
> > File system structure including mount points, devices, etc.
> >
> > UserID and GroupID discussion.
> >
> > File permissions.
> >
> > Use of the 'chown' and 'chmod' commands. (Brush up on your octal
> notation...)
> >
> > Hard links and soft links.
> >
> > Special files...
> >
> > If there's time, I can also cover what these things mean in a networked
> > environment. (NIS/NFS)
> >
> > Bring your questions...
>
> 	Just to confirm, the date will be the 10th of March ?
> In other words, How long.... to the point of no return ?
>

> Is the kernel number the same as the XFREE86 number ?
> Supposedly, according to the chipset mfg website,  the necessary
> drivers for my on board sound are included in every kernel 2.3.4
> and later, and I have XFREE86 3.3.6.

the kernel and the XFree86 versions are not related at all.  Most modern
kernels that are supplied with distributions have the drivers for most devices
built as modules.  You can load and unload things at will.  I actually
installed the ALSA sound system on a working machine and never rebooted it.
Installed and uninstalled the drivers with various options until it worked.
Then I configured the modules.conf file with the right stuff and did a reboot
just to make sure that it would come up by default.  If I didn't want to do
that test, I wouldn't have had to reboot at all.

> The sound HOWTOs seemed rather dated, talking about the
> growing popularity of PCI slots over ISA,  linux vs Win 3.1 and Win
> 95, and XFREE 3.3.1. It looks like I have to find out exactly what
> is, and isn't, in my kernel

Some of the HOWTOs are very dated.  Take a cruise through /lib/modules/<kernel
version>/*  You will probably find a driver for whatever you're trying to make
work.  In general, you don't need kernel drivers for X11 (I don't want to hear
about FB, Dege) unless you're installing things like GeForce boards that have
AGP stuff that gets added as a module to the kernel so that the 3D stuff works.

Sound is probably the most problematic of all of the systems.  There are just
too many variables to be able to simply make it happen easily.  Mandrake does a
pretty good job with most of them but there are a few that just won't be
identified.  I have such a board and that's why I loaded ALSA into my machine.
It turns out that the support for the board was better under ALSA and ALSA had
an OSS emulation module so KDE and other stuff would work OK.

Cheers!

Bob

> Scott
>
> Where do You Want To Go Today?