Quick samba question

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Thu Jun 27 14:23:04 EDT 2002

Hmm.. A little side effect of reloading samba. Atleast the version I'm
running, samba-2.2.4-1  with the compiled RPM from samba. My samba
server is also the NIS master (and also bound it it's self). a users
home dir is /home/jbennett, while the actual files are in
/export/mishome/jbennett. NIS and automounter mount /home/jbennett to
/export/mishome/jbennett. The user is set to use /home/jbennett for
their home. This works fine, except after a samba reload (pkill -HUP)
and also if I change the config file (it auto reloads if the file is
changed). Then if a user breaks the connection to their home dir (they
reboot their machine) samba won't find their home dir. I ran redhat
up2date and installed a new kernel so I rebooted, (my drives on my linux
box are mounted via smbmount it's easier than doing NIS and making sure
user IDs and Group Ids are all the same).

I get:

[jbennett at polo jbennett]$ smbclient //cheetah/jbennett -U jbennett
added interface ip=192.168.128.9 bcast=192.168.128.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[DYNABRADE.COM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.4]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
[jbennett at polo jbennett]$

If i do a wholesale restart of samba then The homes will map. However
that would kick anyone working at the moment. Is anyone else doing samba
via NIS? Experienced this problem?  Is their build options to fix this?
I haven't had this problem before this build of samba I'm running, but
prior my NIS master was seperate, (a sun blade 100 running PCNetlink and
NIS).

Ideas?

I can work around this temporarily by putting my home dir as a share in
smb.conf until I restart samba tonight, but if someones PC crashes I'll
have to do it for them too.