Meeting date

Ronald V. Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 15 15:13:50 EDT 2002

On Saturday 15 June 2002 11:06, you wrote:
>  Ronald,
> Sure I'm interested in the Alpha.  Yes I wish it was a little more
> "friendly" or should I say cooperative...  I picked up the Red Hat 7.1
> Distribution from Compaq ($29 with 60 days "support" - it "boots" to a #
> prompt but still does not see the RAID controller - I think I'm just a few
> minor steps away, hopefully I can get a hint of how to make a "stock"
> kernel use a device driver ...  I have been conversing with a guy in France
> that has similar equipment (Alpha 2100), he has had to do some radical
> brain surgery to get the box to boot - I'd rather not abandon the Raid if at
> all possible. Have you come across any other RAID controller cards that are
> "supported" (PCI or EISA) by the Alpha and Linux AND are available for
> cheap? Joe Lukasiewicz

Well thats a real poser. I assume that most Raid cards of the time the unit
was built would suite. I'd try looking up the cards of that time that DEC
would have used. I really can't offer much info cause I'm just getting into
this type of equipment.

> PS.  as a lark, I tried to get NT 4 to load and got a similar "cant find
> the hard drives" message so I feel confident it is a similar singular piece
> of the puzzle I am missing to make the drives accessable (fdisk, BSD
> labels, etc....)

Well I'm running into the same issue of sorts, and this is most likely the
real problem I think your running into (my opinion). Not much is written
about this subject as I stated in my past e-mail postings. I feel it most
likely is a drive settings issue more than anything else is at play. As soon
as I can I'll start working on this issue and will tell you what I did with
the model I'm working on. I'm currentlly rereading the info I have and will
play around with it. I am though going to keep a diary of steps taken and how
the puzzle all fits together. When I'm done I'll write up a short play by
play for handouts and give a short talk and take short questions about the
wonderfull world of Alpha's well as much as I know that is! I been looking at
eBay alot and DEC Alpha's are set in demand and going for a good price!
If you run into anymore please let me know. I'm on the lookout for a big
server like yours. Well see ya at the next meeting and I'll keep ya posted.

Ronald Maggio <r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net> wrote: Well I