can't mount ext2fs

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Wed Jun 12 08:42:10 EDT 2002

if you'd like for any user to be able to mount the floppy diskette then
you have to tell the system that it's ok for anyone to mount it. to do
this you'll need to backup /etc/fstab first, cp /etc/fstab
/etc/fstab.old. edit /etc/fstab and look for the line:

** NOTE ** this file is extremely important so be carefully ** NOTE **

/dev/fd0
/mnt/floppy
auto
noauto,owner    0 0

change it to:

/dev/fd0
/mnt/floppy
auto
noauto,user
0 0
						^
						|-- change this.

after making this change anyone will be able to mount any type of floppy.

the lost+found directory is a system directory that gets created when
you write a new filesystem to a partition, slice, floppy. the lost+found
doesn't exist on all filesystems but it does on most, reiserfs and msdos
are 2 example of filesystems that do not create the lost+found
directory. it is used when the filesystem is checked by fsck to store
unlinked files, see the mklost+found man page.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
darinper at cognigencorp.com