can't mount ext2fs

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Tue Jun 11 23:05:02 EDT 2002

On 9 Jun 2002, at 17:29, Charles Rishel wrote:

> Did you try specifying the filesystem type?
>
> mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mount/floppy
>
> Chaz®

I tried it, told me that only root could issue that command.
[first was a no such directory error- on my box it's /mnt/floppy]

opened a root console and tried it - it mounted fine, but once
mounted there was already a lost+found  directory there [?normal ?].
I could then write and read as a normal user, but had to umount as
root. Even full of data it wouln't mount from the desktop.

I have two floppy drives, would it be possible to have one for DOS
disks and one for linux ?

On the device tab of properties for the desktop icon, it lists file
system: auto.
There is no pull down list of any other options. Could I change this
parameter to something else ? If so, to what ?

It's going to be hard to leave Windows if I can't put a file from linux
onto floppy in its native file format.

> > > I tried formatting disks with both Kfloppy and Gnome Floppy as
> > > ext2fs, but then when I try to mount, the error message says wrong
> > > fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0, or too many
> > > mountedfile systems.
> > > If I take that disk to Windows and run analyze disk from the
> > > Maxidisk program, it recognizes it as a non-DOS disk and reports
> > > no directories, no files [as opposed to DOS disk, MAC disk or
> > > unformatted disk].
> > > If I reformat to DOS, they mount fine. Why ??

Scott
Registered Linux User 261118