Limewire Install Help

John R. Ghidiu john at rmdashrf.org
Fri Jul 12 07:57:55 EDT 2002

JStoll,

This sounds like an error that is, unfortunately, out of your control.
LimeWire is a Java application. The options that are not being recognized
are Xmx and Xms. According to the JavaDoc, these are non-standard options
that define the maximum heap size and initial heap size. What this means is
the initial amount and maximum amount of memory (both in bytes) assigned to
the JVM (which Java needs to run), respectively. Since they are non-
standard options, no other vendors JVM needs to implement them with their
JVM. All this is saying, in simple terms, is that you appear to be running
the wrong JVM.

The next error (with the stack trace) is indicitive of a missing class, or
a class that cannot be found. This comes from zerog, which probably means
the InstallAnywhere program cannot even be started bevcause either the
wrong files are included (rather, the right files are not included) or the
classpath is wrong.

I might suggest trying a different JVM, one that is sun compatable (type
java -version and see if the vendor is Sun - if it is, make sure that the
version is ether 1.3 or 1.4. That might solve all your problems, or it
might solve none (InstallAnywhere, I think, includes its own JVM). Another
possible soultion is that the release you have contains an error, in which
you would need a new release - the good news is that if it is an actual
error, you will see a new release soon. If not, look on alternative
download sites (cnet, for example) - they ususally have earlier versions of
shareware. However, be careful with the versions - if you go down too far,
your release will not work (the LimeWire network will tell you that your
version is too old).

Good luck,
John