Ok I am not usually the biggest MS basher, but....

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Tue Jul 9 12:47:42 EDT 2002

Rub it in or what?? :-(

I love a good rant!! Let me help!! ;-)

After 3 weeks of having Outlook 2002 reset and ignore all the mail
filtering rules I would set up, I moved back to PegasusMail at work.
That's just an awesome program.  Despite having Office XP, I use
OpenOffice.org, because it's so much easier to use.  As far as
"Lookout, another 2002 viruses!", even though it is an overwhelmingly
(and painfully!) established fact that at least 90% of email viruses
spread by having the preview pane in Outlook open, guess what the
default in Outlook 2002 is for EVERY NEW mail folder you make
is???  Now, given that this is a program that everybody and their dog
gets for email on they're new system, and given the so-called
commitment to security M$ has, you'd think they would change that
one thing to protect all the "Joe Bubba's and Aunt Minnies" out there!
Plus make life just a little easier on e-mail admins who have to deal w/
all this worthless S*** clogging the mail servers.  So, based on M$'s
actions in simple things like that, I think the security commitment is a
scam, another thing to get people to shut up and buy M$.  I've
removed the email accounts entirely from Outlook.  The scheduler is
nice, but very bulky.  I think StarOffice has the very best e-mail rules
setup going, but OpenOffice.org doesn't seem to include that mail
client.  Pegasus rules just plain work, besides, it's the cheapest e-mail
virus protection going!

I use Mozilla 1.1-alpha.  That's as nice a browser as I've ever seen.
Even removes the popup ads w/o you ever noticing it, plus a fair
amount of the more obnoxious stuff on the pages!

As far as IM's, we needed one for work, and I set up a local Jabber
server.  NO connecting to any of the big brothers out there.  They tell
you how to avoid it!  It, again, just works.  I don't know if it's
compatible w/ AO(hel)L, but for our internal purposes, who cares?
Besides, it'd be easy to get the people you *really* want to chat with to
download a Jabber client and join a Jabber server.  It's at least as
easy as AOL.

/end rant

-Greg