routing/DNS

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 24 16:39:42 EST 2002

Over 4 years ago when I first got my Adelphia cable modem, one of their
technical support people told me the following...

Cable modems need to stay in sync to transfer data between Adelphia and
your modem. This is called "block sync". Sometimes, cable modems lose
sync and when it does nothing goes through.

The older cable modems, like the original one I had was terrible at
holding "block sync". The newer ones are much better at it. In part due
to a standard that was developed.

My original cable modem had a block sync indicator led. When it flashed,
it was game over. No traffic went in or out. It would always regain
sync, but sometimes it was a long wait.

I don't claim to know anything on how cable modems work, but I can
believe this. You are simulating a LAN over cable wiring, there has to
be some downside. Personally, I think it's amazing it works as well as
it does. My transfer rates have increased over the years. Well, they did
cap the upload rate though, sigh.

I second the thought on Adelphia getting some competition. Maybe then
their tech support would be useful.

KEG