Meeting

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 17 06:33:19 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. Lawton " <green_man at bluefrognet.net>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: Meeting

> I'll be there, and glad to hear anything about passwords, file
> volumes, Quake, and how to install Mandrake dual boot with
> WinSE on a 20 GB. I got my new box. Put in Win95 and all the
> drivers for all the onboard stuff, only to find out Win95 can't
> communicate with the AMR modem. I wound up buying WinSE,
> stopped there, and went back to trying to figure out the browser
> crash on the coal burner. I can install over, or wipe the drive and
> start fresh. WinSE is still in the wrapper, and I'm wide open to
> suggestions.
>
> Scott
>
> LINUX- Not just _A_ good idea,
>        _ALL_ the good ideas.

First Scott I would wipe the drive and partition it....I guess in half? If
you bought lets say a Maxtor HDD it should have come with a HDD utility
floppy to do just that. Plus it may ask for a boot floppy to place on the
disk files to make it useable.
i.e.: Bootable. Now for the fun part...I guess that the rest is relatively
easy. Make sure you are using subsystem cards that Linux can easily find and
use. Then first install Windows on your first partition and get it set up as
you like, and then install Mandrake Linux or what ever flavor you like. I'm
no egghead, but I've so far I installed it yes I'll say it only a few time
now so as I said I'm no egghead. Dual-Booting is easy thanks to LILO. No
need for System Commander or Partition Magic.
All I can say is that I learned before hand what I was to expect installing
Linux, and I learned a lot more as I went through the install process. Ah
yes the little quirks of each particular system, and boy did each one have
its own quirks. But the flavors of Linux are getting to or are at the point
to which they are as easy to install as...Yes I'm going to say a vary Bad
Word! (Windows)  BAD Ron...Bad bad Ron!!!

Well let us know how you made out.

Ron Maggio