Net meeting

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Thu Feb 28 20:30:50 EST 2002

On 25 Feb 2002, at 15:23, Robert Meyer wrote:

> Well, it pretty much looks like I've been co-opted into doing a seminar on
> basic Unix/Linux filesystems :-)  Here is a basic outline of stuff that I am
> planning on covering.  Let me know if there is anything else that you'd like me
> to handle.  Please try to keep it close to the overall theme so we don't wind
> up in Kansas... that's the point of know return, you know... :-)  (will anyone
> catch that one?)
>
> File system structure including mount points, devices, etc.
>
> UserID and GroupID discussion.
>
> File permissions.
>
> Use of the 'chown' and 'chmod' commands. (Brush up on your octal notation...)
>
> Hard links and soft links.
>
> Special files...
>
> If there's time, I can also cover what these things mean in a networked
> environment. (NIS/NFS)
>
> Bring your questions...

	Just to confirm, the date will be the 10th of March ?
In other words, How long.... to the point of no return ?

Is the kernel number the same as the XFREE86 number ?
Supposedly, according to the chipset mfg website,  the necessary
drivers for my on board sound are included in every kernel 2.3.4
and later, and I have XFREE86 3.3.6.

The sound HOWTOs seemed rather dated, talking about the
growing popularity of PCI slots over ISA,  linux vs Win 3.1 and Win
95, and XFREE 3.3.1. It looks like I have to find out exactly what
is, and isn't, in my kernel.

Scott

Where do You Want To Go Today?
-because you can only go ONE place,