DEC ALPHA

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 21 22:45:13 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert F. Stockdale IV" <javabob at localnet.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: DEC ALPHA

> Not bad Darin. However, I'd do things slightly different.
>   Such as:
>
>   sda0=5.0mb /boot (boot fs, gives room for several kernels)
>   sda1=523mb /home (should? be plenty of room for home dirs)
<-----------------------------------snip------------------------------------
------>
Should this not look something more like this:
sda0=2.0mb dos partition for MILO to boot system
sda1=5.0mb /boot
sda2=521mb /home

Or:

sda0=2.0mb dos partition for MILO to boot system
sda1=6.0mb /boot
sda2=520mb /home

To even it out?

>   sdb=4.3gig /usr (where all the apps will go)
>   sdc=1.010gig / (root filesystem, includes /dev, /etc, etc.)
>   sdd0=256mb <swap> (nice big swap space)
>   sdd=170mb /tmp (helps limit temporary files)
<-----------------------------------snip------------------------------------
------>
Should this not look something more like this:
sdd0=256mb <swap>
sdd1=170mb /tmp

notice how I retyped (sdd1) for /tmp

>   sde=426mb /var (gives you plenty of space for logs)

How does this line look? Am I correct or not? Input please!

> There are many other options such as load balancing.  A simple method
> for that is to keep all heavily used directories on separate drives.
> Just a few thoughs.
> Bob

I was thinking of that, and when I get to that point I'll ask for input into
that problem.

As you can see I've been reading. Thanks to the fellows on the usenet I
found a lot of information from those web sites.
Digital it seems has not provided much documentation for this system since
its inception, and when ever they did
it was not free. I still have a lot of reading to do. I printed out as much
as I thought was warranted. Plus I saved pages
to read off line. ie: PDF and Web pages. I will go back to the sites for
further information as needed. I am getting closer to
the desired result. I'm checking the box over making sure that all setting
are where they should be, and I'm also checking the
drives to be double sure. I will when I'm ready give it another try to see
if I can install RedHat 7.1 and slowly go from
there. Darin and now Bob have both given me an idea of how to set up the
drives.
If anyone has any further input please do so.

Ron Maggio