how do I BASH this?

frank pirrone fpirrone at localnet.com
Thu Feb 21 22:36:24 EST 2002

Hi Guys!

I have a large number of zipped files that have the names of various musical
acts with a collection of their songs inside:  aerosmith.zip, beatles.zip,
cream.zip...

Problem is they were not zipped with paths, so a batch unzip would leave all
songs in the directory where the zip files were located instead of in named
subdirectories.

What I want is to unzip with wild cards (unzip *.zip) and have directories
created with the name of the group - or the first part of the zipfile name
(aerosmith from aerosmith.zip), and the contents of the zipfile extracted
into that directory.

Now, had I followed through on my intention of learning more about scripting
in BASH I probably would know how to do this, but alas...

Please, my brothers in Linux, any assistance or suggestions?

Frank