NFS and NIS and automounting ??

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 09:00:29 EST 2002

I'm reading the NFS howto and it makes some stuff much clearer.  My earlier
errors may be due to lockd or statd not runnign on teh server or client or
both.  I will check when I'm home.  Also it refers to using netgroups and
points to teh NIS HOWTO to explain netgroups, but the HOWTO doesn't explain
netgroups or any of the maps that can be used.

How do I get the groups users, audio, cdrom, usb, xgrp all enabled for NIS
mapped users?  The only group I'm in on my client is jjneff?  Any web pages
that explain the maps clearly?

AUOTMOUNTING.  Pros and ons of autofs and AMD?  Both are mentioned in NFS Howto
and I want to know what you've experienced with them both...

Thanks for any info.

ALSO more real-world examples would help. Is it best to use
/exports/home/<users> as the exported home directories and keep a real /home on
your NFS server?  Also is it best to mount the exported home directories to
/mnt/home to follow standards, if so then isn't it OK to just use fstb to mount
server:/exports/home to /mnt/home at boot up and not worry about automount?

Let me know what you've run into... thanks

JJN