DEC ALPHA

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Mon Feb 18 08:57:31 EST 2002

does redhat's diskdruid see all of you hard drives? if not does fdisk?
as long as you can see all the drives from the installer you should be
in a good position. i'll cover NOT being able to see the drives in a
second. in diskdruid delete any Unknown filesystem types and then set
the drives how you want them. setting up the drives is personal
preference, there are really no right or wrong ways to setup
filesystems, other they one big filesystem. with that said you should at
least setup /, /usr, /var, and swap, anything else is debatable.

if diskdruid and/or fdisk DO NOT see all your drives you most likely
have a termination problem, or a bad drive. when you boot up the machine
get into the bios/eeprom what ever you want to call it. there should be
a section where you can view the hardware, if you're using the DEC
console type disk to probe the disk drives, or test to probe all
hardware. any termination issues should come up here.

<---------------------------------snip---------------------------------------------------------------------->
> OK the GUI did not take care of this and I had to use fdisk to set BSD
> disklables. What should I name the partition type? The BSD disklable program
> uses a default partition type of (Unknown) I set the letter of each drive to
> (a) and it states in the installation guide "To provide the initial
> unallocated space, you will need to start the partitions at cylinder 2. If
> you do a workstation or server class installation" I'm installing a
> workstation class system.

fstab(5) is the filesystem table file, it contains info on how to mount
filesytems.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator