meeting this Sunday

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Tue Feb 12 23:19:27 EST 2002

On 12 Feb 2002, at 9:28, Robert Dege wrote:

> > I need to get the sound working in Mandrake,
> > it works in the MS partition.
>
> What kind of Sound Card?  You might need drivers from the internet, and
> I'm not sure if the T1 wil be available.  (Might have to download them in
> advance)
>
> > I know absolutely nothing about running games, I can't even get
> > Tuxracer to work, maybe it's the X problem, but:
>
> Depends upon the Video card.  I had a GeForce2 card, and got horrible
> frame rates with the game (the mouse was dropping frames in the menu
> screen :)  When I started to use the nVidia drivers though, everything
> started working with improved performance.
>
> Dege
>
> So Many Things in Life Would Be Really Funny
> .... If They Weren't Happening To Me

Sound and video are right on the MoBo.
ECS K7sem Mother with sis730, AC97 codec, video is 32MB
shared memory. I have a CD of drivers that came with the board. I
do have an AGP slot, if mandrake needs an actual video card to be
happy.

Ethernet card has a floppy of drivers and is at least detected, but
I'm not sure how to fill in the blanks in the Wizard. The only time I'd
need it is to interface with other machines at a LUG meeting,
because I have Dial Up out here in the sticks, but its there so I'd
like to have it work. The modem is an AMR modem. I'm beginning
to wonder if all this on board control and conversion of digital to
analog isn't just a very fancy way to say Winmodem and Winvideo.

I'm sure all the answers are contained in a system log some
where, but I wouldn't even know what I was looking at, if I knew how
to access them, so I appeal to the collected knowledge of the
group. I'm going to bring blank disks, boot disks, install disks, and
driver disks, so all my resouces are there.

Scott

Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
Linux: Are you coming, or what?
(from Linux Journal)