your mail

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Dec 26 15:24:17 EST 2002

If you want to upgrade your kernel, it might be a better idea to download
the latest kernel source from ftp.kernel.org

I like to keep my RedHat kernels in a vanilla format & build custom, newer
kernels.  Redhat configures their kernel for all possible hardware
configs.  Then, when/if I add new hardware, I choose the stock kernel from
grub to see what modules kudzu uses to access the new hardware.

But that's just my method.

To build a new kernel, you "should" have to be in the /usr/src/linux
directory.  `make menuconfig` should work from there.  To use xconfig, you
a) need to be in XWindows and b) need "tk" installed.

If the Redhat kernel requires you to be in the /usr/sr/linux-2.4
directory.... eh, so be it.

-Rob