W2k Question

John R. Ghidiu john at rmdashrf.org
Fri Dec 13 09:58:28 EST 2002

because of the way the linksys is built, i dont think that you can get
away from the problem your friend is having (any internal computer, when
pointed to the router at port 80 HAS to get the config, otherwise, you
wouldnt be able to config the router). you should be able to just put an
entry in lmhosts:

192.168.120.40	HOSTNAME

lmhosts does not (AFAIK) use FQN (fully qualified name) for its hosts - it
is more for hosts on the local network. i think that what your friend
really wants is an internal DNS server. that would be an overkill, though.

john

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Justin Bennett wrote:

> As usual, I can use a little pointing in the right direction for a w2k
> issue. My friend is running a netgear router on adelphia powerlink, your
> not supposed to host anything on powerlink, with that said, he wants to
> access port 80 on an internal linux box from outside. He has the port
> redirected and he can hit it fine from the outside. When he goes to
> connect from his w2k PC in his home network behind his router, dns lookup
> for his ods.org hostname gives him his 24.x.x.x adelphia address, and
> tries to connect to that, he winds up getting the login on the router
> admin page. Not his port 80 on his linux box. He can't seem to configure
> the router to allow this to pass through or turn off the web admin. I have
> a linux firewall, not a router, I have it allowing me to loop back in, so
> it works for me, he can't seem to get it to work with his router.
> What I suggested is to setup a host entry on the w2k client for his
> ODS.ORG hostname to his internal 192.168.120.40 address. Finally my
> question, I'm looking at his lmhosts file, how would I add an entry for:
> hostname.ods.org 192.168.120.40
>
> or would I do it in a different file?
>
> Thanks
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin Bennett
> Red Hat (Linux) Certified Engineer
> Network Administrator
> Dynabrade Inc.
> 8989 Sheridan Dr
> Clarence, NY 14031
> 716-631-0100 ext 215

John R. Ghidiu
john at rmdashrf.org

"Just don't create a file called -rf. :-)"
  - Larry Wall in <11393 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>