power off

Conrad Kreyling conrad at nerdland.org
Sun Dec 8 11:28:20 EST 2002

Hey

Yeah, I got this working a while ago. I implemented it with ACPI instead
of APM, due to the age of the two and support available.

1) It needs the ACPI built modules / kernel proper. Look for them with
   `modprobe -l` They'll be named stuff like "ospm_button" "ospm_processor"
   etc. Insert these modules. (Check `dmesg` to make sure your kernel /
   mobo supports ACPI.)

2) You're going to need a program called acpid. (acpid.sf.net) It monitors the
   acpi information in the /proc/acpi directory.

3) Start acpid and add the modules to whatever autoload script your
   distro has set up. (/etc/modules in debian)

4) Hit the button and see what happens. ^_^U

That's about all there is too it. I'm not sure about an APM
implementation, it probably wouldn't be too hard to do tho.

Con

--
"All creature will die, and all the things will be broken.
  THAT'S the law of samurai!"