Server is up but I could use a few tweaks...

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Fri Dec 6 21:52:12 EST 2002

It seems to be, to me, that it could be a problem with your hosts.deny and
hosts.deny files not being updated to allow the external ip address access.
You may need to include a line similar to:

ALL:127.0.0.1
#allows all connections from localhost
ALL:192.168.1.
#allows all connections from internal network

You would have to add the ip address that you are coming from.. with FTP
permissions at a minimum.
checkout man for hosts.allow or *.deny.. it will show the same man file
either way.

Assuming,
1.  the NO-IP dns entry points to your current ip address.
         (which is against Adelphia TOS)
2.  That you have ftp services running on your server.
3.  That you have IP port fowarding available on the router, and forwarding
correctly.

Chaz03

At 08:35 AM 12/6/02 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thought I would pose a new line of questions to the thread that has been
>running...
>
>I have powerlink and a linksys box sharing the cable access to about 4
>desktops and the alpha server at my house (the family that computes
>together)...
>
>The Alpha is running Red Hat 7.2 and Apache 1.3.  I have a registered
>domain <http://www.wnyit.com>www.wnyit.com running on the server using NO-IP.
>
>I can get to the box via WS-FTP using the internal NAT IP number from a PC
>right next to the server.  However I cannot seem to get to the server
>using the <ftp://www.wnyit.com>ftp://www.wnyit.com as the url address ...
>
>I'd like to be able to do remote updates to my web site - What am I
>missing, or more importantly, what should I configure to make this happen?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Joe Lukasiewicz
>

>Do you Yahoo!?
><http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com>Yahoo! Mail
>Plus - Powerful. Affordable.
><http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com>Sign up now

"If you want others to follow, give them leadership that they can believe in."